Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Why do we watch what we watch?



TV shows. Movies. Dramas. Cartoons.

Most of us would rather park our bums on a couch and watch a screen for hours on end, than to fulfill our daily tasks- But the question begs... 'Why?'
Of course, with the media being a well known source of entertainment, it is natural that we, as a piece of the puzzle we call 'society' , would participate in our celebration for enlightenment by catching up on the celebrity gossip or perhaps acquire new found knowledge by watching the sights of the Himalayas.

Yet one particular experience I've had as a fellow couch potato opened my eyes up to a realization.
A couple of weeks ago, my sister had introduced me to a world of Korean drama. It took a while before I reluctantly agreed to throw myself into a fictional world of romance, however through this event I have learned quite a number of things.

Little did I know, as seconds turned into hours, I began to love watching others fall in love. Was it because I felt happy for them? Or was it due to the hilarious miscommunications of tension relievers and delightful comedians? Either way, I found happiness in vicarious living.

It was then that I found out that I watched Korean dramas to escape my own life, to find happiness in another's success.

Am I a despicable person for ruining what should be an innocent romance, or is it, by right, a legitimate excuse for one to drown away their sorrows?

Like drowning one's self in alcohol to forget a broken heart, I continue to immerse myself in the fictional world where my loneliness fades.

Puppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment