Monday, February 8, 2010

Magical Music

I just noticed how amazing listening to music can be! Given that you listen to the right songs which give you an image of a soothing or tranquil environment, listening to music can prove to be a stress reliever. (proven fact and tested)
Mmmmm and now I appreciate music even more because of the amazing mental and emotional effects it can make. Like for example, I left my music on shuffle and went to practice violin when my brother was sleeping in the same room as the computer. And apparently it started playing one winged angel (Sephiroth's theme. And no, Sephiroth is not an 'angle'.) And when I came back my brother was complaining that he started having nightmares when that ominous music started playing. See what I mean? Haha, even I wouldn't be sleeping well with that playing on almost full blast....

And also, today for orchestra practice, we played a piece of music called Tahiti Trot (based upon "Tea for Two") , orchestration by Dmitri Shostakovich. Now, the story behind how this piece of music was made for an orchestra is quite amusing.... Composing music for a full orchestra even by famous musicians lilke Mozart or Beethoven takes months and even years. But this certain piece was made in less than an hour. Dmitri was a famous composer and musician and wrote lots of famous concertos and orchestra music. Until one day, his friend said "I bet, you can't write out and rearrange the song "Tea for Two" so that its fit for an orchestra, in under one hour." And Dmitri disagreed and accepted the challenge. The Tahiti Trot was rearranged for a full orchestra in only 45 minutes.

So the moral of the story? Do not underestimate a musician's speed of writing. Even if it ends up giving them arthritis.

The Tahiti Trot is a dreamy sort of music with a lovely Celeste part and a playful yet rich tune. I enjoy playing this song because of the fact that (yes, this was quoted by my conductor, well more or less shouted by halfway during the song...) it does indeed "make you feel like you're in a Disney movie." That, I agree with 90%. With the lovely string and woodwind/brass sections echoing each other and the violin's dainty pizzicato, this song really sets a good mood to keep for the rest of the day~

Yes, music DOES attract one's attention better than ANYTHING.

Ciao~

No comments:

Post a Comment